The rapid growth in consumer electronics has been particularly driven by the mobile phone and tablet markets. Each manufacturer is striving to produce a device that displays its information perfectly in all environments. A device can be made up of several different layers such as a display, touchscreen and cover lens and the gap that arises in between each of these layers can cause a reduction in the quality of the visual experience. The way in which this problem is solved is by bonding the layers together which prevents, for example light reflection when a device is viewed in direct sunlight.
Whilst consumer electronics is not an area that the Densitron addresses the quality of the displays in these devices has led to a demand in the markets that Densitron does address and this demand is currently not being well served. Densitron targets Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s) whose particular order requirements are generally for small and medium sized quantities of displays. Since the major manufacturers in Taiwan and China that provide bonding services typically concentrate on providing this service to the consumer markets, Densitron identified an opportunity to provide a service to its customers that was currently either closed to them or difficult and expensive to achieve.
Densitron has developed a process called Solisbond ® which offers optically bonded engineering solutions to its customers. The process entails using gel to bond the layers of a display together; this is undertaken in a vacuum chamber located in a class 10,000 clean room which has been set up in Taipei, Taiwan. Unlike the glue and curing process used in other solutions Solisbond ® allows for re-work in the event of any issues during the process which reduces the level of yield issues. The advantages of the process are:
- Improved Sunlight Readability – It decreases reflection on the display glass from external light sources which improves the contrast ratio.
- Shock-resistant – The adhesive is soft and not brittle
- Re-workable process – The advantage here is that the process does not suffer from yield problems.
- Improved Luminance – The process reduces light loss from displays which use backlights which increases the brightness of the display by about 8%
- Straightforward process – Other processes use glue and a curing process, this is not required using Solidbond ®.
- Green process and material
- Cost-effective – The solution is more affordable than the glue and curing process.
It is expected that the demand for this type of process will be considerable and Solisbond ® will be an extremely useful addition to Densitron’s portfolio of products and services. The facility in Taiwan opened in December 2012 and there is already considerable interest in the process and the use of the facility.
Densitron can offer the full service of sourcing the display, the touch screen and the cover lens and then the bonding service. All managed by the Densitron display experts in the UK and in Taiwan. So if you require a display plus a touch screen or a cover lens then contact Densitron to talk through its sourcing and service capabilities. Viewing the screen when any cover lens or touch screen is added is improved dramatically with optically bonding.
For more information, please visit www.densitron.com